Thursday, August 1, 2013

Jamming

Horrible pictures below, but I will take better ones after the jam has cooled and the sun isn't so harsh.   Either way, I made jam!  It's my first time making it, so I hope they all seal properly and that the contents inside taste delicious.  7 cups of sugar and 5 cups of blackberries should be a pretty good combo, so we will see.  Me and my friend Amy picked just about 5 cups of blackberries from my backyard and across the street.  Total score!  I feel like there is a month or so left of blackberry season here, so maybe i'll end up with a million jars of jam.  Super sweet!


All the recipes for jam are pretty straight forward, berries, sugar, pectin, lemon juice.  Just google blackberry jam and any of the top hits will pretty much have the same ingredients and measurements.  It's all in the quality of the berries here, so don't get crap stuff!

If you have ever canned things before that step is also pretty straight forward.  Pectin boxes actually come with steps to make jam and can the stuff too, so just do a bit of reading and you will be on your way.  No big deal, just make sure you have a big pot to hold all that sugar and another to boil a lot of water to process your jars with.


Oh, and the first "normal" sized zucchini that was picked a couple of days ago.


No comments: