Monday, October 15, 2012

Squash is a Saviour.

Fresh ingredients makes for a tasty dish.  Blah blah, but hey, in this case it is so true.

I have been following this recipe:

Butternut Squash Bisque

What I do is cut my squash in half, lengthwise, and then peel the skin with a peeler.  Cube the squash and then freeze for future use.  Butternut squash will last a long time on it's own but I cut it up and put into freezer bags filled with about 4 cups per bag as the recipe asks for.  When it's time to make the soup I simply grab a bag and dump it in.  Awesome.

So I don't actually use the cream in this recipe.  I did the first time, but personally, it's just fine without.  I also at some point got rid of the onions as well since my significant other doesn't agree with onions, and it's STILL good.    I don't even use the oil either, just a pad of butter.  And sometimes I even forget the nutmeg.  STILL good. I also kind of like chicken stock better, but either taste good. So basically, carrots, squash, butter and stock. Salt and pepper of course, but it couldn't be easier. Throw everything in a once, 'cause who cares, cook until all the veggies are soft, transfer to blender, blend and serve. Sweet.

Can't complain about this recipe at all. REALLY cheap, and really easy.  Buy some bread as it is great to dip.


Butternut is REALLY cheap right now, so go out and get some!  Or get some from the garden, like me!


No comments: